View Single Post
Old December 19 2011, 06:32 AM   #42
23skidoo
Admiral

Re: Red Dwarf series 9 (or is it 10?) in 2012 confirmed by Craig Charl

Holdfast wrote: View Post
I'm glad they're going to have an audience; the laughter really does add something to the seasons they used one in. I know it's not a particularly popular opinion to like a laugh track, but a good one makes the world of positive difference to how a show comes across.
People only object to a laugh track if there was never an audience there to begin with. "Laugh tracks" that are actual live recordings of an audience viewing the performance are fine, although as the DVD commentary on RD Series 7 mentions, the cast didn't care for the fact the SFX-heavy season was filmed with no audience and later shown to an audience whose laughter was recorded. I think Craig Charles mentions that without an audience it was hard to get joke timing right.

But with an actual filmed-in-front-of-an-audience scenario, even though there's a trade-off with reduced ability to do SFX or really extravagant stories (though I thought RD did quite well regardless), there's still an obvious relationship developed between the actors and the audience. Watch, for example, the smeg ups where we see the cast joking with the audience, playing off them. You don't get the same atmosphere when it's just a camera crew present.

I don't know the background of how Season 9/10 came to be commissioned, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the actors made "live audience" a condition of their involvement.

Alex
"These are historical documents - preserving them is important. Tarting them up for a night out in the twenty-first century is unnecessary" - Toby Hadoke, "Should mistakes in old episodes of Doctor Who be fixed on DVD" (Doctor Who Magazine #445)
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote