View Single Post
Old December 16 2011, 05:51 PM   #657
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Re: Ongoing Community Discussion Thread

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Yeah I guess so. I mentioned "The Big Bang Theory" and "Modern Family" as examples of shows without a lot of stars though or little recognized stars at least. My response was directly to do with the stars of the shows. Zoom's reply to me was focused on show content and of course he's quite correct. My frustration wasn't about that at all. I don't disagree with what he stated either. I was merely ranting.
I get that. Totally cool. But, let's be honest, NBC has kept a fairly low rated show on for the past 2 and a half years. On any other network, it would've been gone by now. NBC does recognize it has a cult hit, but, cult hits aren't what they need or want right now. The show is great, but it isn't for everyone, and they are in the business of maximizing the number of butts in the seats.

Content IS a part of the marketing. Good marketing won't suddenly make this quirky show into a major hit. It's not The Office. It's not The Big Bang Theory. And I don't think anyone who is a fan of Community would want that. The show has grown into something wonderful and inventive, something it wouldn't have been able to do that if it was getting 10 million people. NBC would never have let them rock the boat like that.