View Single Post
Old December 15 2011, 06:13 PM   #932
stj
Rear Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2011

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
stj wrote: View Post
I saw the movie. It definitely presents George as important for winning public support for the war, which is nonsense. Inflating his role makes it a pro-monarchist polemic, which is good grounds for criticism.
You're like the TrekBBS version of Armond White.
I'm not quite certain who Armond White is, but this is surely malicious. That's curious, because Captain Canada not only insists that The King's Speech is historically accurate, but also insists that I could not criticize the move for falsifying history! That truly is an extreme and highly ideological position to take. Yet that is to go unnoticed? The rather sensible position that falsifying history is bad movie making is objectionable? I can't imagine any good reasons for such an attitude.

Attack on Leningrad, with Mira Sorvino, Gabriel Byrne and Armin Mueller-Stahl. There are German scenes with Hitler and a noble German who is so fed up with besieging a civilian population that he basically kills himself by flying at an antiaircraft cannon.

Happily for US viewers, there are no noble Soviet officials. A female cop is coprotagonist with Mira Sorvino's character, an antiSoviet one (complete with a rather odd backstory about that.)

There are technical stunts with violence. One quick scene with a screaming horse is stunning in its power. The eery artificiality of the night bombing scenes is also terribly impressive. None of this adds up to much because they are not integrated with the character-driven plot.

That plot is melodramatic in the extreme, partly mitigated by the genuine severity of the situation. Nonetheless, despite an occasional crowd scene, much of the movie is people despairing and/or drinking in rooms with a handful of people. The only thing about the historical siege the movie cares about is the hardships suffered by the leads.

I think the movie takes the position that the city should have surrendered, except that it's not quite honest enough to be explicit. The modern Russian people of course have abolished Leningrad and all that fighting Nazi stuff, in favor of honoring the Tsar, so I suppose that fits.

In some ways the movie is very well made. But like most character driven drama in the end it's just emo, and gets kind of boring.

Last edited by stj; December 15 2011 at 06:27 PM.
stj is offline   Reply With Quote