View Single Post
Old December 14 2011, 05:06 PM   #8
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: If you don't think Nemesis is better than Star trek 2009....

[QUOTE=trek_futurist;5422903].....Well, quite simply put, you are not a Star trek fan.QUOTE]

Okay, I don't have time to defend the new movie for the umpteenth time, but, sorry, you don't get to tell me I'm not a Star Trek fan because I don't agree with you. I've been watching the show since its original run on NBC, I have driven hundreds or miles, or stood in line in the pouring rain, to see each new movie on opening night, I've been spent much of my adult life being a professional Trekkie, have spent countless hours discussing Trek with my fannish friends and associates, have developed lifelong friendships through Trek fandom, spent way too many hours attending Trek conventions all over the country, etc.

Nothing personal, 'cause you're hardly the only person who does this, but can we please declare a moratorium on the "You're not a real Trek fan if . . . ." bullshit. Nobody gets to rule on who is really a fan--and I'll put my Trekkie credentials up against anyone.

(To be fair, it's not just Trekkies who do this. I've run into the same schtick on comic-book message boards. "You're not a real Superman fan if you like SMALLVILLE" or whatever.)

To be honest, I'm not quite sure why it seems so important to some people to establish who the real fans are . . .