View Single Post
Old December 13 2011, 05:40 PM   #920
stj
Rear Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2011

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
Which was true to life. What's your problem?
First, in purely cinematic terms, the scene is not true to life. Which is a flaw in the drama, especially as this scene is meant to dramatize the stakes.

Second, movies that affirm the conventional views are making an artistic choice. An artistic statement in favor of the status quo is a message. There is no reason to withhold criticism on the specious grounds that it doesn't address the movie.

A man who wants a knighthood is not a down to earth commoner, Australian or not, and trying to pretend he is questioning the monarchy in some fashion is just the script phonying up the real story. Cf. The Madness of King George for a similar character.

Supporting a war is not at all the same as being eager for one. The relief at dodging the bullet over Czechoslovakia was real, but if the Poles hadn't supported the Nazis and war broke out, the population would have supported it. The notion that the king had diddly to do with inspiring support for the war is questionable in the extreme.

Third, the review was not very positive but it seems to me that the real sting is not about the movie but about its relations to the real world. Or is it possible there's another real world connection validating the movie? Is there a stutterer in your life? There is in mine, which is why I could tolerate watching this movie.