View Single Post
Old December 8 2011, 07:43 PM   #62
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Re: Some science fiction "firsts"

Crassmass Eve wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
Sometimes Science fiction begats or spurs forward whole philosophies and new fields of study, working almost hand-in-hand with scientists/technologists/futurists. In terms of the Singularity--possibly one of the future defining moments of mankind--defined as a point in time where computers or AI outstrip the natural evolution of human intelligence to the degree that predicting the thought process and technological leaps afterward are impossible to those preceeding it unaided.
I don't want to be a wet blanket but why would any company fund a machine that tries to outstrip the human brain? I mean sure you can have processors that can calculate almost anything faster than a human brain can but human intelligence is not a set of calculations. Human creativity is not a set of calculations. Even if you did have an evil millionaire who wanted to create a program to find them all and in the darkness bind them, it would fail because people without any programming skill whatsoever breed geniuses all the time.
Here's why...we will always want to expand the capabilites of the human brain, if we want to be the ones who exist as AI or facsimiles of ourselves after the speculated singularity, as opposed to the "machine overlords" we'll have to improve storage, memory, and speed of the human thought process. Contemporary PCs already expand our human RAM and hard drive space for information, in the future we will want that directly tied into us. Even if we hadn't thought of the singularity, the only way to pre-empt biological evolution and speed up memory and thought, is to turn to artificial means.

The "bad"(good?) news is, researchers are already working on AI all over the world. Many of them believe in the inevitability of what they are doing leading to the takeover. I like to give humanity enough credit that we may supplant this takeover with our own AI evolution.

Is human intelligence more than the sum of it's parts? Well yes the human brain is amazing, but there are elements of it machines can do better already. I along with most--if not all--of the researchers do not believe in any inante ability of the human brain that is not biologically derived and cannot be replicated or surpassed in some way with AI.