Old December 7 2011, 07:53 PM   #199
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile
Re: BBC Original British Drama

Skutter Claws wrote: View Post
Serial thread killer wrote: View Post
Crassmass Eve wrote: View Post
That reminds me. I think everyone needs to see this at least once in their lives
God I hate that AD, what was the BBC thinking?
Its has if they want to lose the licence fee.

I guess they didn't pay attention to Charlie...

Charlie Brooker

Anyway, among all the articles detailing which bits of Radio 1 Extra will be shared with Radio 1, and which daytime shows are likely to be axed and so on, the one thing I can't find is any mention of how much the BBC spends on promotional trails. I'm not talking about the on-air trails consisting of edited highlights. I'm talking about the bespoke mini-movies encouraging me to watch such little-known broadcasts as Strictly Come Dancing; ads created not from footage from the shows themselves, but from specially-shot glossy nonsense.
These things turn me silver with rage. Yeah, silver. I TURN SILVER. And they turn me silver not because they're bad on the contrary, they're often very well made indeed but because they have absolutely no right to exist in any civilised universe. It's like watching the BBC shit money into a big glittery bin.
To shoot the recent Strictly trailer, for instance, in which celebrities lead a crowd of "ordinary folk" in a patronising pied-piper dance, I'd guess they had to close a couple of streets for several days (including one very tricky night shoot involving lots of pretty lights). It's glossily made and quite complicated, so there's also a big crew to pay. And as well as the stars themselves, all of whom require costume and makeup, I'd say they also had to hire about 50 extras. And a shitload of catering. All these people should be employed to make shows, not adverts for shows. That's like paying Heston Blumenthal millions to design a bespoke scent that'll tempt people to your soup truck, which only serves bargain soup made with cheap ingredients because that's all you can afford, having blown all the money on the smell.
All that time and money to advertise a show which everybody knows about anyway. You could hold a bit of cardboard with "STRICTLY'S COMING BACK" scrawled on it in front of the lens for 10 seconds and it would have 10 times the impact. Madness.
And it's not just madness in the short-term: what about legacy? If all that time and money and street-closing and dancing and filming had been used to create a show instead of an advert, they might've created something they could broadcast again, or sell on DVD, or flog to the Swiss and the Kenyans. Instead they blew it on a promo that'll air for a few weeks before getting tossed on to the ever-mounting stack of other never-to-be-shown-again adverts, which sit there gathering dust in nobody's memories pointless visual epics informing you that the BBC sometimes broadcasts football and has radio stations.
I wouldn't mind if they used the money to sew some shiny new buttons on Ian Beale's shirt. Or maybe a bunch of pitchforks and flaming torches for those terrified farmers round Cameron's way. Film that. At least it's money spent on the right thing.
So true.
Also because more and more people are watching the BBC via I player, there are less and less people watching the ads.
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Serial thread killer is online now   Reply With Quote