View Single Post
Old December 7 2011, 05:23 PM   #58
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Phlox and Archer's actions in Dear Doctor

Dear Doctor never made any sense to me on a couple of different count:

A) If Phlox was so against interfering why even pursue a cure to begin with? If his convictions were that strong he could've simply refused to pursue any work.

B) By giving them any help at all they are potentially changing the evolutionary course of the planet.

Dear Doctor wrote:
Phlox tells me this medicine will help ease the symptoms for a decade, maybe more. A lot can happen in that time. I wouldn't be surprised if you developed a cure on your own.
It seemed that even Phlox didn't really know the correct course of action.

It is morally repugnant to allow children to die for the crimes of their parents. It is also morally repugnant to allow people to die instead of them living on and learning the errors of their ways. Phlox made a judgement call that the two couldn't learn to live together, that the cosmos had fated one side to die. But if that's the case why did the cosmos allow them to reach out and find help? Why did the cosmos put the Starship Enterprise in a perfect place to offer assistance?

But on the more pragmatic side. What happens to the Menk after the Valakians all die in a decade or so? They'll be faced with the clean up of tens of millions of corpses in the cities or else disease would run rampant and possibly wipe them out. They'll no longer have access to immunizations they count on to fight disease and infection. They may be able to work some of the machines left behind but would probably be incapable of replicating most of it. Pakleds anyone?

Then there's the possibility that the presence of the Valakians is what is fueling the growth of the Menk to begin with. Like when a younger sibling develops faster than an older sibling did, because of the presence of the older sibling.

Inaction may be sentencing a world to no civilization if the Valakians die. The Menk, if they don't die from disease, starvation or some other catastrophe, may simply move away from trying to grow themselves.