View Single Post
Old December 7 2011, 04:21 PM   #8
23skidoo
Admiral

Re: Mythbusters cannonball hits Dublin home and minivan

So bearing in mind many of us not familiar with greater San Francisco had no idea a Dublin existed in that region, did anyone for a moment think they launched the cannonball into orbit and it landed in Ireland? (Or, more realistically, that for some reason the guys went to Ireland to fire off a cannonball?) [EDIT: Obviously TheGodBen above was thinking along the same lines - we posted about the same time!]

Anyway, I have no doubt they're air this. And it'll probably be the subject of a later retrospective special, like the recent one where they mentioned being banned from a small town after shattering windows during the "knock your socks off" experiment. If nothing else it'll be a vivid demonstration of their "don't try this at home" mantra.

And Mythbusters/Discovery have a ton of insurance, so the people involved won't be wanting. Of course the most important thing is no one was hurt.

But this clearly a fluke. It's not as if they just went out into some random neighbourhood or some field. They were in the controlled setting of an active bomb range under the supervision of the authorities. As the article itself says, being so close to active army bases, etc. carries risk. The house could have just as easily been hit by shrapnel from a bomb squad training exercise.

I'm sure everything will work out OK (and Savage's no comment was clearly a case of lawyer instruction, which is standard procedure). I just hope this doesn't result in some knee-jerk decision (by authorities, municipalities, or the show itself) to stop doing these sorts of experiments. Maybe the only difference is they'll aim in the opposite direction from now on...

Alex
"These are historical documents - preserving them is important. Tarting them up for a night out in the twenty-first century is unnecessary" - Toby Hadoke, "Should mistakes in old episodes of Doctor Who be fixed on DVD" (Doctor Who Magazine #445)
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote