View Single Post
Old December 5 2011, 05:47 AM   #894
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2011

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
100. Scott Pilgrim vs The World: D+
Heretic, that movie was quirky and wonderful!

170. Almost Famous: The Bootleg Cut (A+)
171. About Schmidt (A-)
172. Drive (B)
173. Hugo (A)
174. Ed Wood (A+)
175. Out of Sight (A)

In my review of Almost Famous I remarked how it was odd to look back a decade to when Kate Hudson gave an amazing performance and seemed to be an emerging talent. Much the same is true here with Jennifer Lopez, whose decline was slightly more gradual than Hudson's (who literally never made another worthwhile film), but not by much. In the late 90s, Lopez seemed like she was going places, but she and Hudson both got taken out by the rom-com vortex of suck (as well as, in Lopez's case, a serious overdose of publicity).

George Clooney and Steven Soderbergh, of course, did go places after this (including trips onto the stage at the Academy Awards); this is where Clooney became a movie star. Clooney and Lopez's interplay is fantastic to watch. Leonard influenced Tarantino, and this feels like a more low-key version of a Tarantino film (though with very similar editing). The supporting cast is likewise very good, and I got to wondering while watching this why Ving Rhames hasn't done anything notable in a while.

#175, 75 more than I reached last year. Don't think I'll make 200 before the year is out, though.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote