View Single Post
Old December 5 2011, 04:28 AM   #399
Fer
Commander

Re: Star Trek: TNG: Indistinguishable From Magic Review Thread

Finally read it, and absolutely LOVED it. Gave it an "Outstanding" vote. I'll confess I put it off because I was under the impression that it was a "side story" with no big ramifications... boy, was I wrong there.

Since it's been quite a few months since the book came out and I notice people aren't using the spoiler tags anymore, I'm just going to put it all out there-- David, I think you gave Scotty a great send-off. Being an old-school fan, the classic crew will always have a warm place in my heart, and I hate to see any of them go. But the Trek universe covers over 200 years now, and I think it's good for the characters to eventually have closure. (I just hope someone gets the chance to die peacefully in bed!) Sure, the opening is there for him to potentially come back in the future, but if this is the way he goes out, then it was fitting. Tinkering until the very end and never giving up.

I was also very sorry to see the Challenger go. (And it's a nitpick of mine, but thank you for frequently putting "the" before the starship names.) I found I became very attached to that ship and her crew in such a short time, and the transition between the two parts of the story really made me feel like Geordi was now captain of the Challenger for good. I like that he's kept the Captain of Engineering rank, especially since Scotty was the one to promote him. The torch has been passed.

Speaking of the crew, I think calling it a TNG book was the way to go-- with Geordi, Barclay, Guinan, Ogawa, Leah Brahms, Rasmussen, Bok and Sela it felt more like a Next Gen book than the E-E books have lately to me.

Thanks for a great read.