View Single Post
Old November 29 2011, 01:54 PM   #11
lvsxy808
Rear Admiral

Re: DS9 Season 10, ep 10x11 - "Harmony" (part 1 of 2)

Wally wrote: View Post
I'm happy that Kira has finally returned to the forefront. With Sisko gone, she's the commanding officer- but even during the relaunch itself she has sometimes gotten far less 'screentime' than is typical.
I've felt that before, myself. DS9 was never as captain-centric as the other shows, but still, she's the headliner now, so she deserves attention. And of course this storyline is all about her, since she is The Hand (a completely different Hand than in B5:LotR thankfully).

Wally wrote: View Post
I love her sticking to her guns and forcing the Federation into action. Just hope things don't get too dark. What with in the future with the huge war with the Borg, and problems with Andor. I am weary of war in Star Trek, and hold out hope that this conflict with the Ascendants will be handled differently.
Since there's so little mention of it in future novels, we have to assume it is a different kind of situation than the Borg or the Dominion conflicts, yes.

Enterprise1981 wrote: View Post
I can see the Council not wanting to get caught in another drawn out conflict so soon after the Dominion War.
That's certainly a part of it, I think. It's only been two- and-a-half years, I imagine they would be skittish. But I also think Gleer and Mazibuko had a point, even if they stated it rather insensitively. The Federation gets told off for sticking its nose in where it doesn't belong, and at the same time it gets told off for not helping out more people in need. They've got limited resources, and they're still taking care of their own. The Eav'oq aren't a member of the Federation, and haven't made any requests for help, so it really isn't any of their business. That's how they see it. Kira, naturally, sees it very differently.

And it seemed a little out of character for Bashir to have that rigid an interpretation of the Prime Directive, unless he's still in a huff over his last confrontation with Ezri.
Again, that's a part of it. But there's more to it than that, as we'll see.

All that said, a good cliffhanger. Odds are Bajor doesn't secede, but that last line leaves us hanging by our seats.
Obviously we know Bajor doesn't secede (from our post-Typhon Pact perspective) but think of my theoretical TV viewers. They know no such thing. Does Kira really believe so strongly in this, that she's willing to yank Bajor out of the Federation over it? After we've just spent eight years getting Bajor into the Federation? Yes, she does. I hope it expresses just how big of a deal this is for her. I like to think that could be a pretty big cliffhanger to go out on.

Read Deep Space Nine, Season 10
All 22 eps available to read on-screen or download and keep!
lvsxy808 is offline   Reply With Quote