View Single Post
Old November 28 2011, 02:06 PM   #135
Starkers
Admiral

Re: Frank Miller completely loses the plot

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
the G-man wrote: View Post
Actually, yeah, it does. If you believe that corporations are too powerful, don't enrich corporations.

It's especially egregious in the case of giant corporations that are also media companies, insofar as corporate media are one of their major targets.
There is no avoiding the enrichment of corporations. Every time I buy a book, newspaper, watch a movie etc, I'm doing so, directly or indirectly.

One doesn't have to be against corporations and capitalism to think that executives paying themselves bonusses at a time when other people's standars of living is failing is obscene; one can be a capitalist or even a conservative and still think that the fact that lobbyists have politicians in their pocket is an affront to decency and democracy, as is the fact that politicians can vote in legislation that personally enriches them and organisations in which they have shares, without disclosing same to the electorate. Do you want to live in a country run by the likes of Silvio Berlusconi?
Depends, do I get an invite to the bunga-bunga parties?

Of course the amusing thing is that Berlusconi was at least actually democratically elected (God alone knows how!) where as now there isn't a single elected official in the Italian govt!

But yeah, I'm pro Capitalism and I'm not anti anyone making money but some of the bonusses flying around are just plain ridiculous, and I like the idea of splitting the banks into highstreet/investment arms...it gets somewhat scary when people are saying levels of inequality will soon reach Victorian levels.

That said no one was complaining about the banks when they were handing out cheap loans/mortgages, and as corrupt as the whole system is people were a lot more accepting four or five years ago, and I do think people have to accept some level of accountability for the mess we find oursevles in.

Re the V masks, what I find amusing is that Fawkes is being held up as some kind of freedom fighter when he was effectively just a religious extremist terrorist. Imagine in 500 years time a bunch of protestors in Osama Bin Laden masks? (And I know V in the film was fighting a cruel dictatorship but most people just think it's Guy Fawkes and that he must be cool because he wanted to blow up Parliament and all the MPs-idiots!)