161. J. Edgar (B)
162. City of God (A)
163. Cinema Paradiso (B)
164. Three Colours: Blue (B+)
165. Three Colours: White (A-)
166. Three Colours: Red (A-)
167. The Muppets (B+)
168. Election (A)

Alexander Payne's second movie, the one that really got him noticed, and it's at least arguably still his most famous. I recall seeing bits of this on TV at some point in the past, but this is the first time I sat down and watched the whole thing (complete with all the swears). Reviews of Glee in its original, satirical configuration always made comparisons with Election, and I can definitely see that (Tracy and Rachel, in particular, have a number of similarities). It's quite adroit at balancing people's sympathetic and unsympathetic qualities (apart from Chris Klein's character, where his incredible decency is probably the main joke).

169. Le Havre (C+)

One of the more successful foreign films of this year, and Finland's entry for the Best Foreign Film Oscar (tipped to be one of the nominees). A comedy-drama about illegal immigration from Africa, it has a purposefully detached style and seems to be aiming for dark humour in places; there are a couple of really good moments, but I mostly thought it was listless and neither funny nor dramatic. A largely unsuccessful attempt at absurdism.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote