View Single Post
Old November 26 2011, 05:12 PM   #584
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: "James Bond 23" officially slated for 2012!

Rush Limborg wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Not yet quite official but fairly reliable:

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/ben-wh...d-film-skyfall

Skyfall, the latest instalment of the James Bond franchise, has cast Ben Whishaw as MI6 gadget master Q, according to various reports hitting the web today.

It will be the character's first appearance in the franchise since 2002's Die Another Day, where he was played by John Cleese.
Prior to that, Q was played by Desmond Llewelyn, who owned the role for an impressive 36 years.
Q is the character who supplies Bond with all of his nifty hi-tech gadgets and espionage equipment in the movies.
Traditionally, the actor playing Q has been older than James Bond, but that's set to change here (Whishaw's 31, Craig's 43).
Craig is appearing as 007 for the third time in Skyfall.
Ben Whishaw has already acted opposite Craig, in 2004 ganster Brit-flick Layer Cake.
And, not that we're saying we told you so or anything, but we did have our money on Whishaw playing Q:
Q AND Moneypenny!

This just keeps getting better and better....
Moneypenny may be in it (see my post a few places up), but it's not official yet

KB24 wrote: View Post
Glad there will be a Q and Moneypenny,
What I said above.

and I do love Layer Cake, but who the hell is this guy?
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0924210/

Outside of the obvious young gadgetry appeal, what are the motives to making some sort of tech guru or young geeky Q? I already thought we had the badass younger Bond with Craig's reinventions, so why would Q be younger? This really confuses me, as it might have been nice to have something slightly similar to a cranky old man in an effort to get things back on track.
Why make M female? Why make Bond blond? Maybe Wishaw was just the best person who auditioned for the role.

Eh, must wait and see.
Exactly!

Candlelight wrote: View Post
So glad we're going back to the gadgets. The first two Craig movies were just blah.
We may or may not be going to the gadgets. Q appeared in OHMSS, which is hardly gadget-laden. In the recent Jeffrey Deaver Bond novel there is a Q department but Bond's tecchiest piece of kit is a super Iphone (or IQphone). Q may simply be the Quartermaster.