View Single Post
Old November 24 2011, 03:20 PM   #111
Fleet Captain
Re: OTHER Starship Captains - Symbolism, Foreshadowing & Plot Devices

Capt. Tracy - can I call you Ron? - I sat back and let 7thsealord carry the argument - he (or she) made some good points, as did you. However, I think you overlook the fact that the "keepers of Vaal" may have been slaves - they may have wanted to break away, but Vaal kept them in line with punishment, as they stated. Proof? When Hutch (where was Starsky?) and the girl observe Chekov and the cute yeoman swapping some spit, they want to do it to. So its obvious they had the desire (no pun intended) to make personal choices as to how to live their lives, but were denied this basic freedom by a machine. In this senario, Kirk and company are emancipators, simply giving these people the basic right to make their own choices. The choices they then make are up to them. BTW, interesting little thesis on the name "Kirk".
"Well, here's one thing you can be sure of: leave any bigotry you may have in your cabin, there's no room for it on the bridge. Do I make myself clear?" - JTK, "Balance of Terror"