View Single Post
Old November 24 2011, 05:10 AM   #337
Admiral Shran
Admiral

Re: TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

A couple of other good things about this episode are 1.) that the one major new character - General Krim - is only introduced here so that he doesn't come out of left field when he has to be one of the driving forces in the third episode. Well done, IMO, to lay his groundwork beforehand, if only slightly. 2.) The line about Sisko meeting Krim at a session of the Bajoran Executive Committee. There's no reason for that line to be there, but it adds to the texture and nuance of the situation. It shows that Sisko isn't just running the station, but that he has, in fact, been operating in close contact with the Provisional Government at a fairly high level.

It's a shame that many of these interactions are only hinted at (most noticeably when Sisko goes before the Chamber of Ministers and tells them, as the Emissary and the commander of DS9, to sign the non-aggression pact with the Dominion) (I would have LOVED to see that speech!), but it's nice that they're giving us these tidbits to show that the situation is more complex than what it may appear.

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
Random observation: when reading the Harry Potter books, I found myself wondering if Dolores Umbridge was based on Kai Winn!
Ah, same archetype, but Umbridge didn't thrist for ultimate power like Winn did - she was content to do whatever her superiors told her to do. I also don't remember Winn being so fixated on cats or the color pink.

Last edited by Admiral Shran; November 24 2011 at 05:23 AM.
Admiral Shran is offline   Reply With Quote