View Single Post
Old November 21 2011, 01:55 AM   #89
Captain Tracy
Commander

Re: OTHER Starship Captains - Symbolism, Foreshadowing & Plot Devices

7thsealord wrote: View Post
"Interferance Is Wrong." Nice, easy, simple, no thinking required.. But simple EXISTANCE could (and does) very easily lead to interference in other cultures.

On that basis, should the entire United Federation of Planets commit mass suicide? Or maybe it would be enough for all members to just give up entirely on starflight, retire to their respective star systems, and take up navel-gazing instead?

Seen where that last often leads in Trek (and a few other SF shows I can think of) - "superior" races who spend their time saying how superior they are and, when it comes to actually DOING something, are total a##h###s.
7THSEALORD - No, the UFP:SFC should not retire or commit suicide.

However, THEY SHOULD, at the moment(s) they choose to become Trespassing Invaders - again cite: Specter of the Gun - they should have done so HONESTLY, and perhaps painted a War-Bird on the secondary hull of the ENTERPRISE, torn up the Bill of Rights, and had the entire crew paste on 'Ming the Merciless" moustaches.

At least it would have been Honest.

Also, I want to point out that once a civil and free democratic society adopts and operates under the inverted-morale philosophy of:

"OUR MEANS ARE JUSTIFIED BY THE END"

,.. is no longer free, civil, or a Democracy.