View Single Post
Old November 19 2011, 02:42 PM   #202
Christopher
Writer

Re: the state of sf/f TV development for 2012-13

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Not a remake of the Bill Bixby version then.
No, it'll be closer to the comics, and focus on the Bruce/Betty relationship and the "early days" of the Hulk's existence. But I think any mass-media adaptation of the Hulk these days is going to be influenced by the Bixby series. Leterrier's The Incredible Hulk was influenced by it and quoted the famous "You wouldn't like me when I'm angry" line and the "Lonely Man" musical theme. And reportedly the version of Bruce Banner in Whedon's The Avengers is even more influenced by Bixby's version than what we got in previous films, in that he's focused on helping people rather than just curing himself.

It's fascinating to me that so many Hulk fans these days are fans of the TV show as well as the comics, given that the show was as far from the comics as its creator could possibly make it. It really gives the lie to the assumption of modern fans that any adaptation that isn't slavishly accurate can't be any good. The Incredible Hulk proved that you can change everything except the most basic defining elements -- even the character's name -- and still produce something good and worthwhile. (At least, if what you put in their place is good in its own right. No denying that there are plenty of unfaithful adaptations that failed.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote