View Single Post
Old November 17 2011, 07:24 PM   #2287
Derishton
Vice Admiral

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
For superheroes who are supposed to be the best of the best, they are awfully rash and impulsive. I think Batman comes off the best. Unlike everyone else, he's very rational, sharp and "on the ball", moreso than I've ever seen him in fact.
I guess I think we're seeing the "best of the best" when they were still just "the first of the best." I like that becoming the best starts somewhere other than alredy being the best. They have to look imperfect so that their excellence is all the more apparent later.

I agree that Batman is written with a touch more maturity in his voice - not quite "Dad" to this bunch of overly-powerful youngsters, but a responsible uncle. I think it helps provide a reason why Batman is integral to a League composed of individuals infinitely more powerful than he is: it's not Morrison's "super-tactics", but simple experience and a level of committment. It reinforces an essential difference: Bruce Wayne wasn't handed something and he wasn't raised to take a role. He chose this lifestyle and he knows how to make it work.