View Single Post
Old November 17 2011, 05:45 AM   #98
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: American Horror Story (FX) 1x01 Pilot (Grading/Discussion)

I liked this new episode a lot.

It also revealed a lot, or at least made clear some of the things that I and I'm sure others have been speculating since the beginning of the series. Constance and Moira's relationship, for one, is providing to be a constant joy and I really liked how that dynamic "evolved" in this particular episode. Jessica Lange and her performance is quickly becoming one of my favorite aspects of this show.

I also like the direction of the Tate/Violet storyline. As Temis said, this is how you do teen angst. I think it's fascinating because it's not your typical teenage romance (especially since Violet is essentially dating and as evident in this episode apparently falling in love with a dead guy!). On top of that, I really like the direction of the Violet character, and I'm very curious to see where she is headed. It appears she's becoming or going to become "in tune" with the house and the ghosts that populate it. It's almost like she's becoming attached to the house, mostly because of Tate, because she's sinking deeper and deeper into the whole abyss of the house. It's actually a little scary when you think about it. Violet may become so attached that she doesn't want to leave, and if/when that does happen, the psychological ramifications will be considerable. She might have to have some weekly sessions with her father to cope.

Speaking of Ben and Vivian, I'm not really enjoying what's evolving of their relationship dynamic. It's definitely progressing, but I'm not entirely enthralled or engaged by their incessant relationship problems (even though the sequence in which Vivian was trying to find some "alone time" was effectively unsettling). I like where they are going separately as characters (it appears Ben is becoming a slightly darker character because of the house and Vivian is becoming stronger, but I have a feeling that's going to change after witnessing the preview for next week's episode) but I'm just not a fan of their characters when they are together, if that makes sense.

Anyway, next week's episode looks certifiably intense, and I can't wait. Besides The Walking Dead and Boss, American Horror Story has become one of my favorite shows currently on television.