View Single Post
Old November 16 2011, 07:27 AM   #65
Captain Tracy
Commander

Re: OTHER Starship Captains - Symbolism, Foreshadowing & Plot Devices

7thsealord wrote: View Post
In some other instances, he was dealing with crazy computers that had enslaved the human populace, and frozen any kind of development by them ('The Apple', 'Return Of The Archons', 'Spock's Brain'). Maybe the PD had a specific clause for this kind of situation?
7THSEALORD - Nice treatise! Thanks for composing it, I enjoyed the read!

I have copied only the section I am addressing.

1) 'Crazy Computers' LOL! I would bet no other 23rd Century man was as inundated with 'Crazy Computers' than KIRK. I was in such a serous vein reading your post, and when I hit this term, I busted out laughing,.. you got me with that sucker punch LOL!

2) The problem with KIRK's actions in the stories you pointed to above, is that in each case, HE is judging the value of a culture, which is NOT his - nor his to judge - and then enacting changes to these cultures, BASED ON HIS PERSONAL VALUE SYSTEM,... this is the first baby-step toward TOTALITARIANISM.

When one understand this, it make KIRK's 'Cultural Corrective Actions' on the NAZI-PLANET blatantly hypocritical; and damn near laughable when he gives them 'The Ol' Stars and Stripes' lecture.

Why?

Because KIRK is in reality upsetting the entire culture of a planet to SIMPLY SWITCH THEIR CURRENT FORM OF TOTALITARIANISM FOR HIS OWN CULTURES CURRENT FORM OF TOTALITARIANISM.

So,... In 'Patterns of Force',... so-called 'evil' Nazi-ism is 'forcibly replaced' by the so-called 'good' Federationism.

And who is the sole judge?

The guy who is breaking his cultures highest law.

Quoth The Bard: 'A rose by any other name,...'

And what happened to the beautifully depicted tolerance for other cultures and customs, and desire to LEARN AND UNDERSTAND about Alien peoples and their ways, as demonstrated in say, 'The Corbomite Maneuver' ???

That whole speech KIRK gives to SPOCK (?) about: "The PD refers to a living, growing culture",.. is absolute and unabashed B.S. - an adjunct 'conceptual correction en media res' to allow KIRK and SPOCK to justifiably blow-up 'Crazy Computers' and beat up Nazis, Cavemen, Gangsters, Aliens, Gas Clouds, Giant Amoeba, etc.

Who is KIRK, to judge - in 20 minutes no less - the merits and demerits of an entire civilization and culture,... and MOREOVER,.. BY WHAT STANDARD????

His own !?!!???!?!?

3) The whole 'STAR TREK CONCEPT' was founded on OBSERVANCE, NON-INTERFERENCE, AND CULTURAL EXCHANGE, and NOT using its space-going AMBASSADORS, as roving Judge, Jury, and Executioner (or Interferer)

The ENTIRE PURPOSE of drafting the PRIME DIRECTIVE was specifically to INSTRUCT These Starship Captians - when cut off from communication with the authoritative powers - WHAT TO DO.

Simple Translation: When in doubt,... BUTT OUT !

However, you cannot actually follow the PD and tell a vast majority of TOS stories, simple as that.

No surprise to 7THSEALORD ;-)

HELL, the ONLY FOLKS who fully understood the hypocrisy of 23rd Century Federation, were the FREAKIN' SPACE HIPPIES from 'The Way to Eden" !!!! LOL!!!

"YEAY -Aaaay BROTHER,..."

Last edited by Captain Tracy; November 16 2011 at 07:37 AM.