View Single Post
Old November 14 2011, 02:28 PM   #38
Bob The Skutter
Admiral

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: Charlie Brooker Black Mirror

Servo wrote: View Post
No cable in Hull? Damn, it's nearly 2012, what's the hold up on that then?
Hull doesn't have BT, no BT no competition. Way back when the local authorities controlled the phone networks, when British Telecom was created all the councils gave up control to them, except in Hull were they decided to keep control and created Kingston Communications. So KC have a local monopoly, and though they still have to comply with the competition rules they make it as difficult as possible and no one really thinks it's worth the expense of kitting out the city for a slice of 100,000 homes or whatever it is.
Though KC have just started trialling fibre optic connections they've only done 5 high rises and 1 street in the city and parts of some villages outside. Apparently they're getting 50-80mbps connections on that. But their ADSL is a crippled mess at times with their traffic shaping, so I doubt their Fibre will be any better for any great deal of time.

And while I typed that my internet went down for 10 minutes.