View Single Post
Old November 13 2011, 03:27 AM   #854
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2011

160. Immortals (C+)
161. J. Edgar (B)

Clint Eastwood's latest has been attracting middling reviews (it's actually in the negative on RT right now; but Ebert and Berardinelli, my two faves, both liked it), but I don't think it deserves quite that level of criticism. There are certainly problems: the structure of Dustin Lance Black's screenplay is messy and not especially well-constructed (though I can see what he was going for), and some of the age makeup on Armie Hammer is really bad (balanced by some truly excellent makeup on Leonardo DiCaprio). DiCaprio is the movie's main selling point - given the reception, this is now looking unlikely to be the film that finally gets him that Oscar, but if it had it would be a deserving win. It's the best male lead performance I've seen so far this year (though with the proviso that Pitt in Moneyball is the only other one I've yet seen). Eastwood steadfastly refuses to take on this material as a polemic for either side (as opposed to what, say, Oliver Stone would probably do with this concept), which I think is admirable.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote