View Single Post
Old November 12 2011, 07:25 PM   #145
siskokid888
Fleet Captain

Re: Why are the TOS movies better then the TNG movies?

sonak wrote: View Post
siskokid888 wrote: View Post
The Dominion wrote: View Post
The FC uniforms looked pretty martial.
Yes, the TNG unis were more martial. I think they went away from what Roddenberry wanted, and my point was the TMP unis were not "ridiculous", they tried to show that Starfleet was not a military organization. One of the things I liked about the "Enterprise" series was the utilitarian jumpsuit uni - much closer to Roddenberry's vision.

Um, but Starfleet clearly was at least somewhat military, as they were an organization responsible for defense, and that same movie shows them responding to a threat.

They travel around in ships that are armed to the teeth and fight in wars. Who does that sound like?

But at any rate, from just an aesthetic perspective, I prefer the look of the burgundy uniforms of the later movies, whether they were more militaristic or not.
Starfleet has a defensive military component, but Roddenberry wanted to focus on the exploration aspect. Of course, space battles are more widely seen as entertaining, so that ended up becoming the focus.
"Enterprise, starship, the places you've been to, the things that you've shown us, the stories you tell, Enterprise, starship we sing to your spirit and the beings that have served you so long and so well"
siskokid888 is offline   Reply With Quote