View Single Post
Old November 12 2011, 04:31 PM   #136
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Re: the state of sf/f TV development for 2012-13

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
The fundamental difference is that the Falling Skies aliens potentially can be negotiated with (and if my theories are correct, the skitters are possible allies.)
'Negotiated with' is I think too strong a term. I'd prefer 'have motives'. Obviously the zombies on Walking Dead do not think beyond shambling towards things to eat, but the aliens in Falling Skies can have a real agenda that we probably will discover the entirety of over the run of the show.

And... that's actually kind of benefical in the long run, which is probably why we get the likes of Cylons and Skitters more than we do zombies (in the first season of Battlestar Galactica the Cylons were also largely an opaque threatening menace.) The zombies can't change, can't be understood, can't be anything other than a mass of diseased killing flesh. Good enough premise for a feature film but one will see if it'll sustain Walking Dead... so far, Walking Dead's solution seems to have been to push the zombies to the background as much as possible. The human element drives much of that show, I think.

And speaking of AMC, I guess they were piqued by the way I singled them out for being absent from my sf/f development list, because they just announced that they're picking up the alien first-contact drama.

The cable network has bought Thunderstruck, an hourlong UFO project from feature writing/directing duo Paul Boardman and Scott Derrickson and former Battlestar Galactica executive producer David Eick. Boardman and Derrickson will write the drama, about powerful and enigmatic entities that begin appearing all over the world.
Sounds vaguely interesting. David Eick isn't exactly my favourite BSG alumni, but maybe they'll pull together something interesting here... or not. I suppose it's too much to hope for something like early Earth: Final Conflict, with humanity being watched over by an alien race with highly ambiguous intentions.