View Single Post
Old November 12 2011, 12:41 PM   #49
Captain Tracy
Commander

Re: OTHER Starship Captains - Symbolism, Foreshadowing & Plot Devices

jk82 wrote: View Post
Commodore Robert Wesley - USS LEXINGTON - 'The Ultimate Computer'. You have to love this guy, he plays a 'straight-arrow Kirk' as good as any of Shatners' early performances. He is the embodiment of 'all the good' qualities in what we envision would be the basic requirement for all standard Captains entrusted with a Starship: Competent, Alert, Decisive, Humane, Insightful, ect.

In a way, he is almost 'too Kirk-like', and in point-of-fact, the whole trick of the plot DEPENDS on this fact of his Kirk-likeness, ensuring that his character, and therefore his actions, are predicable-being driven by his virtues-and therefore he does not, when tested, FRY the Enterprise and it's crew,.. along with Daystrom and the M-5 computer.
I am afraid I disagree with this assessment. Commodore Wesley may have "compassion" at the end as Kirk points out ( Kirk is the one with real compassion: He is just as ready to spare enemies lives, i.e., Balance of Terror, Journey to Babel as he is ready to save his own crew), but he certainly lacks correct judgment by committing a computer on board in a live ammunition war game without sufficient testing and safety measures. His inability to comprehend that a computer might make mistakes costs many fine men and women their lives in a meaningless way. He also ridicules Kirk by calling him "Captain Dunsel". Kirk may act like a dictator sometimes, and points out errors or inadequacies of his men, but he never ever berates or humiliates any of his men (unless it is to try to get them out of trouble, like in This Side of Paradise). Therefore I give Commodore Wesley a very low mark.
JK82 - You have me really confused here, so I need some clarification please.

You state you disagree with my assessment of WESLEY,.. which is fine, but do you mean my assessment of WESLEY as he is used as a plot device?, Symbol, or the brief character sketch?

Which part is it exactly you disagree with?

It is hard to understand what it is you are actually disagreeing with, as you simply make a blanket statement, that you 'disagree'.

Normally, after specifying their position, one would then support said position, pro or con,... however, you presented a dissertation about KIRK,... which leaves me even more confused.

Also, in your remarks about KIRK - unless I am totally misunderstanding you - somehow because KIRK while operating under orders from SFC to have installed and engage the M-5 Multitronic unit on the Enterprise, fully armed and with no manual over-ride, in a live-fire exercise, is somehow connected to WESLEY ?????

You totally lost me with that.

As far as WESLEY's "Captain Dunsel' crack,... I think we worked that out a few posts back,... I believe the concensus was: While totally out-of-line, it was nothing more than good-natured hazing between two former class-mates, albeit coming off in very bad taste, being broadcast on open speaker. Careless and insensitive to be sure.

In point-of-fact, the DUNSEL thing was side-bar commentary to the actual subject of the conversation which was: Symbolism, Foreshadowing, and Plot Devices.

However, my personal opinion, and this is pure speculation, is the underline message behind the DUNSEL reference from WESLEY to KIRK is: "If this thing of SFC and DAYSTROM works, all of us Starship captains are going to end up as a group of 'Captain Dunsels',.. reflecting WESLEY disdain for the machine itself, and not KIRK.

Again, this is my personal opinion, and I can only meagerly support that opinion indirectly by pointing to all the ANTI-MACHINE messages presented in the HUMAN VS. MACHINE stories, repeatedly, in one from or another,throughout the entire run of the series.

But, like I say, that is just MY PERSONAL OPINION, and it is not germane to the actual subject of the conversation, but since it is the only part of your post which was definitive, and required no extra clarifications, I am responding to that.

Anyway JK82, help me out here so I can understand what it is you are trying to say.

Thanks.