View Single Post
Old November 12 2011, 04:32 AM   #133
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: the state of sf/f TV development for 2012-13

although I heard the series second season premiere was impressively good, ratings wise?
Definitely - the second season premiere broke cable records with over 7 million viewers (NBC should be so lucky to get numbers like that. It's nice to see quality being rewrarded for a change.

But the secret of that show's success really isn't the zombies. It's the quality of the writing, acting and production. The fact that the premise delivers built-in, knuckle-biting action doesn't hurt, but you could say the same about the premises of other high-rated cable shows: Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, American Horror Story.

And quality is hard to imitate, especially for the broadcast networks and good old SyFy. Plus zombies are probably hard for broadcast to do correctly, what with the FCC breathing down their necks.

sojourner wrote: View Post
Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
But The Walking Dead hasn't inspired a zombie outbreak, strangely enough...
You forget that Zombieland is in development as a series.
Once zombie does not an outbreak make! Darryl could take care of that sucker with two hands tied behind his back (he'd just spit out the arrow with his teeth.)

Greg Cox wrote: View Post

And there are also plenty of zombie attacks on Death Valley.
Not in development, doesn't qualify for the list.

Beyond that, well, Falling Skies is about an alien invasion instead of zombies, but it follows a few of the conventions familiar to zombie stories - we begin after society has totally collapsed, people can be dehumanized by the enemy and turned into monsters, and so on.
The fundamental difference is that the Falling Skies aliens potentially can be negotiated with (and if my theories are correct, the skitters are possible allies.)

And speaking of AMC, I guess they were piqued by the way I singled them out for being absent from my sf/f development list, because they just announced that they're picking up the alien first-contact drama.

The cable network has bought Thunderstruck, an hourlong UFO project from feature writing/directing duo Paul Boardman and Scott Derrickson and former Battlestar Galactica executive producer David Eick. Boardman and Derrickson will write the drama, about powerful and enigmatic entities that begin appearing all over the world.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote