View Single Post
Old November 10 2011, 06:55 AM   #22
The Overlord
Captain

Re: Phlox and Archer's actions in Dear Doctor

Broccoli wrote: View Post
Skywalker wrote: View Post
Choosing to let millions of people die on the off chance that some other people might develop intelligence in a few thousand years has nothing to do with what it means to travel through space. That excuse is especially poor, since the idea came from a man who was very familiar with space travel and interacting with other species.
I guess I meant "space-faring" in terms of "Star Trek space-faring" (where the ships encounter aliens and problems on a weekly basis). In the other series, this stuff is old hat. They would encounter a problem like this and would resolve the issue where everyone wins out. "Dear Doctor" didn't and had the characters make a controversial and potentially wrong decision. At least, that is what I took away from the episode.
Except there was no good reason why everyone wouldn't have won if Phlox just gave the cure to the Valakians? I don't see how this episode presents a good dilemma, how is the Menk's supposed future evolutionary leap a good trade off for the entire Valakian race dying off? A child would make the right decision here, so Phlox and Archer failing to do so, doesn't come off as a bad choice due inexperience, at best they made this choice because they were incompetent and at worst they made this choice because they were malicious.
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote