View Single Post
Old November 10 2011, 06:23 AM   #106
JD
Admiral

Re: Enterprise: The Romulan War: To Brave the Storm review thread

The Caprican wrote: View Post
But with the destruction of the DS9 novel line scattering the characters to all corners of the quadrant (Rough Beasts of Empire was the only flawed entry in the absolutely EPIC Typhon Pact series) and now ENT, there doesn't seem to be a lot to offer the passionate Trek reader.

The Caprican wrote: View Post
Rough Beasts of Empire SPOILERS

toughlittleship wrote: View Post
Rough Beasts of Empire was the only flawed entry in the absolutely EPIC Typhon Pact series
I actually liked RBOE a lot more than Seize the Fire and Paths of Disharmony, but to each his own.
I think my biggest problem with RBOE was the treatment of Sisko, Kira, and company. I felt like all of the story that had been built with the last (was it nearly 20?) novels for the DSN relaunch, were taken and thrown away like so much garbage. Break up Sisko and Kassidy, make Kira a Vedek, kill off Vaughn. I just felt it was gratuitous slashing of an entire novel series in the span of 40 pages. I don't think I ever gave the rest of the story a fair shake after that.
I have to disagree with you guys here. First off I don't think it was the destruction of the DS9 story, it was just the beginning of another part of the story. As for the things that happened, while I am frustrated with the way they jumped ahead, I'm very curious to see where exactly they are going with the characters now. I'm almost certain that what we got was the set up and introduction of new character arcs, not the destruction of the series.
The focus seems to be shifting to TNG and Titan books (which, granted, have been amazing to date!!) and TOS books that don't do much in terms of storytelling (The Children of Kings was the only book I have ever started and then put down because I was bored). With the exception of Unspoken Truth and Cast No Shadow, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of continuity of epic storytelling. So, all in all, a sad day for the continuation of the Star Trek print franchise. IMHO.
I have to disagree with you in a HUGE way here. Because I've been really impressed with the diversity of the line lately. In the past year we've gotten, The Sorrows of Empire, Inception, Children of the Kings, Unspoken Truth, Seven Deadly Sins, Shattered Light, , Indistinguishable from Magic, Watching the Clock, Cast No Shadow, and those are on top of the books continuing the ongoing story arcs.