View Single Post
Old November 10 2011, 03:24 AM   #136
The Caprican
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: DS9 Forum Welcome Thread: Hello fellow Niners!

Hi! I'm a new poster (first day) and even though this is a Star Trek site, I was unprepared for the amount of deep space love on the site. DS9 is by FAR my favorite series, though I do love them all. It's nice to see so many others out there appreciating the most thought-provoking, deep, and finely detailed of the series. I still watch at least an hour or two every week.

Looking back on the series, Kira Nerys was one of my favorite characters. Her journey from war torn rebel with a lot of anger and bitterness to a more mature, spiritual and wise individual was one of the best transitions that occurred on the series. Though, unlike some series where certain actors got short shift (Did Harry Kim get to actually DO anything during his time on Voyager?) it seems that all of the DS9 characters had their own well thought out character arcs.

But I think it was Sisko's estimation of the Maquis in "The Maquis, Part II" that summed it up best: "The problem is Earth....." "It's easy to be a saint in paradise." That entire speech to Major Kira defined the series for me. These were flawed indivduals with their own baggage. None of them were perfect. They fought. They made mistakes. "In fact, we have some damned good fights. But we always come out of it with a better understanding of each other." I loved that they could be heroes, and that it wasn't always easy for them to be heroes. To me, life was always too antiseptic aboard the Enterprise. So to see people I could truly relate to, as the 13yo kid I was when DS9 premiered, was very alluring.

Sorry, didn't mean to go off on several tangents. But thanks for the forum to allow me to geek out.
The Caprican is offline   Reply With Quote