View Single Post
Old November 9 2011, 11:49 PM   #120
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Re: the state of sf/f TV development for 2012-13

Christopher wrote: View Post
bullethead wrote: View Post
My issue with stuff like the All-Systems University is that, for the most part, it's never actually integrated into the show itself. It's a peeve I have with a lot of media these days, regardless of where it comes from, because for the most part, these sorts of things tend to be tossed out the window anyway as the production grinds on or they are critical to the story in a way that can compromise the quality of the work for those in the audience who aren't aware that this stuff is out there.
But again, the problem there isn't with the ASU content itself as with the show. When Robert, Zack, and Ash created all that backstory, I don't think they appreciated just how much their creativity would be hampered by the tiny budget and the production team's lack of experience. They created all these exotic aliens with the intent of using them in the show, but then what the inexperienced makeup artists produced was a cheap-looking mess, so they had to dial back on the aliens. It took them three years to figure out how to do a Vedran, and the end result was so lame that they never did it again. So it wasn't a writing problem, it was a cost/production problem. The show was doomed by the fact that Majel Roddenberry sold it to the skinflint Tribune Entertainment, whose priority was always to minimize costs in the short term no matter how much it damaged a show, rather than a production company that would actually nurture the show creatively.
Hmmm.... does anyone know when exactly all the ASU stuff was hashed out? Because if it was made before Majel sold the rights to Tribune, the level of detail would make sense. If it was after, then that was a total lapse of judgment on their part if they knew anything about how cheap Tribune could be. Actually, in all honesty, it seems like they conceived Andromeda in such a way that it would've probably been better as a video game than a television series. I say that because I don't think they did enough to establish the Commonwealth itself and how things were fairly good before throwing everything into the terrible future where everything was fractured and all around bad for everyone, plus all the harder scifi staples like non-humanoid aliens that aren't really practical on TV budgets even today.

That said, since RHW's new show doesn't seem like it'll be too out there in terms of character design, it shouldn't have too many problems with budget even if it doesn't get as much money as SGU.