Rear Admiral

Re: the state of sf/f TV development for 2012-13

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
Untitled Robert H. Wolfe Project

The drama from Universal Cable Productions is set in a postwar era in
which a newly formed Unity Democracy orders a volatile mix of humans
and trans-humans to lead the Starship Defender on an expedition in
search of lost worlds requiring law and order. The project hails from
Wolfe (Alphas), who is attached to write and executive produce.
I like this last one best of all. I need some outer space action!
I really like this premise. If there's one thing I'd like to see space opera TV do more (besides, you know, exist and be good) it's tackle transhumanism head on, as has of course been done in literature and elsewhere. Star Trek turned it into something criminal and Battlestar Galactica was more interested with its Cylons, so we don't often get space opera where humanity's medical and cybernetic technology is tinkering around the line of what human means.

Christopher wrote: View Post
The problems with that show when Robert was around were never with its writing, only with the cruddy production values and shoestring budget.
I'd say there were some problems with the writing. Andromeda had a lot of solid episodes during RHW's tenure ("Angel Dark, Demon Bright" comes to mind), but also a fair smattering of lousy ones and some pretty awkward attempts at humour - thinking mostly of Beka Valentine's quips. It was a pretty uneven first season.

But yeah, Allsystems.org was an impressive bit of pre-show marketing. Andromeda is actually the first series I was excited about before it aired thanks to the internet, and while it never lived up to those expectations I do have a soft spot for the first year.