View Single Post
Old November 9 2011, 06:03 AM   #18
DakotaSmith
Fleet Captain

View DakotaSmith's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to DakotaSmith Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to DakotaSmith Send a message via Yahoo to DakotaSmith
Re: OTHER Starship Captains - Symbolism, Foreshadowing & Plot Devices

Captain Tracy wrote: View Post
Now, that would make one think that IF a Vulcan were a Starship captain, he would be more exhaulted than Mr. Spock,... so if you follow that, and take into account the above, then we are back to Krasnovsky and Chandra,...?
Well, to be honest, I ultimately decided that Spock was the most famous Vulcan in Starfleet -- but for a variety of reasons:

Firstly, he was the son of the planet's Ambassador to the Federation. Theoretically, the Ambassador to the Federation would be the voice of Vulcan at the Federation Council. Whatever interstellar laws were to be made would happen with Sarek of Vulcan speaking on the planet's behalf. The post would naturally be a very powerful and highly-visible one.

And then Sarek of Vulcan goes out a knocks up some Earth girl.

That alone would be a scandal pretty hard for any politician to deal with (Cain, Clinton, Hart, anyone?), but amazingly Sarek wasn't pitched out on his ear. His Vulcan-looking kid is being raised traditionally Vulcan. He's accepted into the most esteemed institution of higher learning on the planet.

And then Spock declines the offer and joins Starfleet.

Again, I'm amazed that a politician could weather such a scandal. I suspect it would be like finding out Vice-President Cheney's daughter is gay. Which she is, so obviously such things can be weathered ...

Actually, the parallel to Mary Cheney is probably apropos. Is Mary Cheney the most accomplished lesbian out there? Nope. Is she particularly noteworthy for anything other than being a conservative Vice-President's lesbian daughter? Nope.

But anyone who finds out that Dick Cheney has a lesbian daughter never, ever forgets it.

In any case, I suspect that it's Spock's backstory that makes him famous in the same way that Mary Cheney has some level of fame.

Actually, with that analogy, it puts a lot more subtext under T'Pring's statement that she did not wish to be the consort of a "legend":

The legend of the half-breed offspring of the Ambassador to the Federation and some cheap Earth girl; who then inexplicably threw away everything; and probably because he's driven by his passions to get some of what his father got.

Some legend.

Are there other famous Vulcans in Starfleet? Probably -- but not the way Spock is famous.

Dakota Smith

Last edited by DakotaSmith; November 9 2011 at 06:32 AM.