View Single Post
Old November 6 2011, 03:36 PM   #6
lvsxy808
Rear Admiral

Re: DS9 Season 10, ep 10x10 - "In Two Minds"

ACT FOUR

FADE IN:

33 INT. DS9 – MAIN OPS CENTRE

The RED ALERT siren is screaming, the bright red lights flashing. Kira EXITS her office in a rush, heading directly to Bowers at tactical, who is working his panels hard.

KIRA
What’s going on?

BOWERS
Automated alarm. I’m tracking
it down now.

An image comes up – the high-angle view of the security cells area. It clearly shows the empty cell, and Sevak unconscious on the floor. Kira’s face drops in horror...

34 INT. DS9 – RO’S QUARTERS

Ro had been in the midst of lifting another hypospray to her neck. Now she reacts in surprise as she hears the red alert siren from outside in the corridor.

KIRA (comm)
Kira to Vaughn and Ro. Security
breach. Taran’atar’s out, and
Sevak’s down.

VAUGHN (comm)
Acknowledged.

She mindlessly throws the hypospray aside, no longer caring about it, and runs for the door.

35 INT. DS9 – HABITAT RING CORRIDOR

Taran’atar and MU-L’Haan jog down the corridor together as the red alert siren sounds around them.

TARAN’ATAR
How was I able to escape the
force field?

MU-L’HAAN
I was able to briefly retune
your biorhythms to allow you
to pass. I would have done it
sooner, but your high level
of agitation did not help.

TARAN’ATAR
Where are you taking me?

MU-L’HAAN
To remove an obstacle.

They continue along the corridor...

36 INT. DS9 – HABITAT RING CORRIDOR

Vaughn stands in the corridor, by an open cabinet set into the wall - a weapons locker. He’s handing out weapons to Cenn, Aleco and half a dozen other security EXTRAS. In the meantime he speaks into the comm...

VAUGHN
Captain – get Shar and Nog on
the sensors. Remember when we
tracked Kitana’klan through the
station using the emissions
from his personal shroud?

37 INT. DS9 – MAIN OPS CENTRE

Kira nods to Nog and Shar, sat at their usual stations...

KIRA
We’re on it.

Shar works his panel hard, his concentration clear as a bell in the crisis... but he shakes his head.

SHAR
There’s no trace, Commander.

NOG
He’d know we’d try that. He
won’t be cloaked.

SHAR
Tracking Jem’Hadar life signs...
Habitat ring, section twelve A.

BOWERS
Guest quarters.

KIRA
(realizing)
He’s going after L’Haan.

38 INT. DS9 – HABITAT RING CORRIDOR

Vaughn closes up the weapons locker – they’re ready.

VAUGHN
Understood, Captain. We’re
moving out. Vaughn to Ro.

39 INT. DS9 – HABITAT RING CORRIDOR

Ro replies as she strides quickly down the corridor...

RO
I know, Commander. I’m on my
way there now.

VAUGHN (comm)
Negative. Stand down.

Sneering, Ro taps her combadge to close the channel.

RO
Screw that.

40 INT. DS9 – HABITAT RING CORRIDOR

Taran’atar and MU-L’Haan stride urgently side by side...

MU-L’HAAN
My earlier offer remains open,
Taran’atar. Return with me to
my universe and join the fight.

TARAN’ATAR
What fight?

MU-L’HAAN
All the Vulcans of my universe
are slaves, like you. We fight
the domination of the Alliance.

TARAN’ATAR
More lies. You placed yourselves
into slavery voluntarily.

MU-L’HAAN
To serve as spies inside the
belly of the beast, yes. We
work for freedom nevertheless.

TARAN’ATAR
Then why would I join you?

MU-L’HAAN
To make use of your own freedom.

TARAN’ATAR
I am not meant to be free!

MU-L’HAAN
Very well – if you want orders,
we will give you orders. But you
know you have no place here. The
Federation distrusts you. The
Dominion exiled you to a mission
that is contrary to your very
existence. Come with me!

Taran’atar considers that... Then suddenly, he bumps into a force field. They turn to look the other way – another force field at the other end of the corridor. Trapped.

41 INT. DS9 – TARAN’ATAR’S QUARTERS

The red alert alarm continues to sound in the background. Vannis is speaking on the comm with Weyoun again...

VANNIS
Why not?!

WEYOUN (screen)
Because the Founder says so.

VANNIS
Taran’atar is out of control!
He is running amok on this
station as we speak.

WEYOUN (screen)
The Founder trusts Starfleet
to handle the problem.

VANNIS
And what of the Vulcans? One
of them is here right now to
force herself into his mind.
It is unacceptable!

WEYOUN
(insistent)
The Founder trusts Starfleet. He
insists they would never abuse
the power. It is not their way.
You will do nothing to interfere,
Vannis. That is the Founder’s
order. Will you question it?

Infuriated, Vannis stabs the controls to cut the signal.

42 INT. DS9 – HABITAT RING CORRIDOR

A raised phaser leads the way around a corner... preceding Vaughn, Cenn and Aleco. They take up defensive positions staring down the corridor – we see the force field, and another one at the opposite end. No sign of Taran’atar.

VAUGHN
We’re here. But he’s not. Shar,
you’re sure this is right?

SHAR (comm)
That’s his last location. But
the signal has disappeared.

He taps his combadge to close, and turns to Cenn and Aleco.

VAUGHN
He’s in there, but he’s shrouded
again. You two, aim your phasers.
The moment I drop the force
field, cover the whole corridor
in continuous phaser fire. Even
cloaked, he can’t avoid that.

Cenn and Aleco nod acknowledgement, and carefully creep forward until they’re just in front of the force field. They look to the side - Vaughn is at a computer panel. Nervously, Cenn and Aleco aim their phasers. Keeping his own phaser in his spare hand, Vaughn presses a control.

The force field drops. Cenn and Aleco sweep continuous PHASER FIRE back and forth across the entire length and breadth of the corridor. They fire for 10 seconds or more.

VAUGHN
Cease fire.

They do. There’s still no sign of Taran’atar. No sound, no body. Vaughn approaches warily, phaser held out.

CENN
Shouldn’t being hit with a phaser
force him to drop the shroud?

VAUGHN
Ordinarily, yes.

The three of them move slowly and stealthily further into the corridor, keeping a sharp eye out for anything.

ALECO
You know this is a trap, right?

VAUGHN
I know.

Slowly PAN UP, until we’re looking at the ceiling... and there’s a cloaked, half-visible SHAPE on the ceiling of the corridor, hands and feet pressed against the walls.

In a fast, complex gymnastic manoeuvre, the figure swings down, catching Vaughn, Cenn and Aleco unawares with swift, spinning karate kicks. Cenn is slammed sideways, and SCREAMS as his arm crunches against the bulkhead, the bones shattered. Vaughn OOFs to the ground with a groan.

Aleco is the least affected; he rolls to a kneel and FIRES his phaser again at the quickly retreating shrouded figure. But he only hits bulkhead. Taran’atar is gone.

43 INT. DS9 – HABITAT RING CORRIDOR

Ro is at the guest quarters, punching the door chime and HAMMERing on the door. Red Alert lights flash around her. Finally the door opens, and a worried looking RU-L’Haan appears in the doorway.

RU-L’HAAN
Lieutenant? What is wrong?

RO
You’re in danger.

RU-L’HAAN
Surely not. Who would -

Ro is barrelled down by an invisible force, knocked off her feet with an OOF of escaping breath. RU-L’Haan squeaks in fear, staggering back into the room...

...Ro lies on the floor, looking back up in terror... as Taran’atar UNSHROUDS in the doorway. He HISSES at Ro, then turns to RU-L’Haan, starts to advance... but then stops, as if he’s asserting control over his own body again.

TARAN’ATAR
No! I will not do this!

MU-L’Haan steps out from behind him...

MU-L’HAAN
Kill her and let’s get out of here!

Taran’atar shakes his head furiously, trying to clear it of MU-L’Haan’s influence...

TARAN’ATAR
I have sworn not to hurt these
people, and I will not!

MU-L’HAAN
I can take control and force
you to do it.

TARAN’ATAR
No!

Taran’atar looks down at Ro, who is still on the floor, looking back at him... then he turns back to MU-L’Haan...

RO’S POV

Watching Taran’atar seem to argue with thin air...

TARAN’ATAR
If I promise to go with you...
freely, of my own will... will
you spare them?

Ro is surprised, and a little touched... RU-L’Haan cowers in her quarters... MU-L’Haan steps up to Taran’atar...

MU-L’HAAN
Very well. Diplomacy at work.

Taran’atar looks back to Ro, almost apologetic...

TARAN’ATAR
Goodbye, Lieutenant. Be safe.

And he runs off again, SHROUDing as he goes. Ro turns to watch him go, ambivalent how she feels about this...

44 INT. DS9 – CARGO BAY

The large double doors open just a crack... and then two green and scaly hands reach in and begin pulling the door open with a squeal of resisting servos. Finally the doors are open wide enough, and Taran’atar slips through.

He runs to the far wall, where there’s a large cargo transporter, and immediately begins working the panels.

45 INT. DS9 – MAIN OPS CENTRE

Nog is working hard on his own panels. It’s taking all his concentration. Kira hovers nearby...

NOG
He’s in a cargo bay on level ten.
He’s accessed the transporter...

Kira trusts him to handle it...

46 INT. DS9 – CARGO BAY

Taran’atar is at the panel, working hard...

MU-L’HAAN
Do you recall the sequence for
multi-dimensional transport?

TARAN’ATAR
Of course. I remember everything.
But they are trying to block me.

He keeps working the panels...

47 INT. DS9 – MAIN OPS CENTRE

Nog’s fingers are flying over the keys as he tries to keep up with Taran’atar...

NOG
Dammit. He knows the computer
system as well as I do.

48 INT. DS9 – CARGO BAY

Taran’atar is getting frustrated... but he finally hits one last key with a victorious growl.

TARAN’ATAR
They have failed. We are free
to go.

He steps up to the large transporter pad. The colourful and complex dimensional transport signal forms, twisting and turning Taran’atar inside and out until he disappears.

49 INT. DS9 – MAIN OPS CENTRE

The transporter stage in Ops hums to life... the twisting signal forms... and Taran’atar rematerializes on the platform. Realising where he is, he roars in fury.

Bowers and the security extras are all there to point their phasers directly at Taran’atar. From outside her office, Kira looks across Ops, saddened for him.

Nog stands up from his station, and smiles smugly at him.

NOG
I may not have been able to
stop you from activating the
multi-dimensional transporter.
But it was as easy as chewing
a gree worm to activate the
multi-dimensional shield I
designed. Your signal bounced
off it... and right back here.

Furious, Taran’atar moves forwards, on the attack... but bounces off another force field around the transporter.

NOG
And you won’t get through that
force field either. It’s on a
randomly shifting frequency.

KIRA
Shar...

Shar hits keys on his panel... and a gas begins to seep out from the air vents over the transporter platform. Contained inside the force field, the gas gets thicker and thicker...

Taran’atar fights against it, refusing to choke or succumb, but it’s getting stronger, and he’s getting weaker. Finally he slumps to the deck, unconscious. Bowers hits keys on his tactical panels, and the Red Alert is silenced. It’s now eerily quiet, as they catch their breath. They all stare down at the unconscious Jem’Hadar...

50 INT. DS9 – INFIRMARY

Taran’atar jerks back to consciousness... and finds himself strapped to a hi-tech chair in the surgical suite. His entire body is held by countless low-tech but powerful straps, covering his arms, legs, chest, everywhere. He struggles against them, but they don’t budge. The chair itself is bolted to the deck in several places too.

Kira, Ro, Vannis, RU-L’Haan, Vaughn, Matthias and Bashir stand around him, watching.

KIRA
Welcome back.
(to RU-L’Haan)
Are you ready?

RU-L’HAAN
I believe so, Captain.

Tentatively, still somewhat scared of him, the Vulcan woman steps towards Taran’atar. He ROARS in frustration, strains against the straps covering his body... but it’s no use.

RU-L’Haan lifts her hand, arranges the fingers into the position, and presses them against Taran’atar’s face, gently at first, getting firmer.

RU-L’HAAN
My mind to your mind...

He struggles against it... but she’s in.

BLACK OUT:

END OF ACT FOUR

Read Deep Space Nine, Season 10
All 22 eps available to read on-screen or download and keep!
lvsxy808 is offline   Reply With Quote