Thread: TOS Nacelles
View Single Post
Old November 5 2011, 09:54 PM   #228
blssdwlf
Commodore

Re: TOS Nacelles

CarbonCopy wrote: View Post
Timo wrote: View Post
Adding author intent to the mix seems unnecessary to me, when there's already so much material that "actually" describes the fictional universe, in the "with our own eyes and ears" sense.
If our eyes and ears didn't witness any inconsistencies, you'd be right. But there are inconsistencies, which is why I think we could benefit from having a picture of intent, as a potential aid to assist in resolving them. I'm unwilling to swallow all "canon" as equally valid, when there are clear discrepancies in certain cases.
Has anyone else taken a run at addressing the perceived inconsistencies?

Adding author intent to the mix seems unnecessary to me, when there's already so much material that "actually" describes the fictional universe, in the "with our own eyes and ears" sense.
Agreed

...the two times this occurs in "The Alternative Factor" there are gaps in the "stealing event" where we cannot say either way if the ship exhibited a "brown out" event like we see in other episodes.
Agreed. But our heroes would probably mention past brown-outs or express other concern about the observed effects of the thefts - whereas the dialogue merely has them claim that the ship cannot operate at full power without "the crystals", but never indicating that such a limitation would actually have kicked in.
I'm pretty sure Kirk laid out the consequences of not being at full crystal power in earlier dialogue:
KIRK: You have a talent for understatement, Lieutenant. Without full crystal power, our orbit will begin to decay in ten hours. Re-amplify immediately.
and when the first 2 are taken:
KIRK: ..two of our dilithium crystals are missing,
and without them the Enterprise cannot operate at full power. They must be found.
We don't see if there were any brown outs due to the gaps in the episode but based on his earlier dialogue, Kirk was likely under the gun to find the crystals (or leave orbit) in 10 hours or so before the orbit decays. I would imagine that's why Kirk chased Lazarus down to the planet without waiting for backup to get the crystals back.

In any case, the articulation frame in "Elaan of Troyius" appears to only hold one paddle of dilithium, and sabotage to this one cripples the ship - yet in "Mudd's Women" three crystals were lost in sequence, without Scotty running down to Main Engineering to replace a burnt one with a fresh paddle each time. This might favor an interpretation where something fundamental changed about the engineering arrangements, and a move from a four-slot device in "Alternative Factor" to a single-slot frame in "Elaan of Troyius" would fit the bill.
Other than it's what I believe is called the "crystal converter assembly" and not the "articulation frame", I agree that pre-Season 2 the four crystals were held in one spot in the energiser. Season 2 and onwards it appears to have moved under the new engine room. The question (as you've posed below) is whether the Enterprise's new energiser design reduced down the need for crystals to just 1 crystal paddle or are the 4 (or more?) crystal paddles on some sort of carousel type system that exposed them one at a time?

On the other hand, I've always seen the articulation frame thing as a waldo of sorts, a tube-mail system for accessing a deeply buried reactor's dilithium innards. The system might well handle more than one frame, despite only one popping out at a time. And given how rare dilithium seems to be in that era, the ship might have varying numbers of paddles in its reactor at different times, there being another acute shortage during "Elaan"...
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote