View Single Post
Old November 2 2011, 04:03 AM   #56
Christopher
Writer

Re: Star Trek: Typhon Pact: The Struggle Within (ebook) review thread

JB2005 wrote: View Post
I wonder Christopher, what it was like writing about these events in the fictional setting while they were happening in the Middle East? To me it seemed to harken back to Classic Trek, by raising an issue that is happening around us and putting a "human" face on it (it made me consider just how bloody terrifying it must have been for all those who took part in the uprisings, both in the Arab Spring and historically)
Mainly I was worried about whether the situation in Egypt or thereabouts would change in a way that would render my story dated or obsolete. It's risky to try to do an allegory for a current, ongoing situation. And I do find it sad that too many of the revolts in the Mideast lately have sunk to violence. The way Qaddafi met his end was particularly disturbing. How can they expect to replace him with anything better if they sink to the same kind of brutality?

I think if this had been a full novel then it would have been easily the best of the Typhon Pact series (hell, even as an E-Book I still lean in that direction) since giving it a score out of ten would be meaningless, I will simply say that it is Most Highly Recommended!
Wow, that's very flattering.