View Single Post
Old October 31 2011, 02:16 PM   #57
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Re: 'Paranormal Activity 3' and earlier films

I watched the original Paranormal Activity this week on Netflix streaming for the first time. No 5.1 surround sound.
I thought it worked even with the muffled audio from the microphone on the camera. With a budget of $15,000. it was scarier than The Blair Witch Project which was shot for around $30,000. I believe in 1999 (plus another $30k in promoting the TBWP film). Also P.A. did not have as much shakiness as the kids running around with the camera in TBWP.
I've been told that the Paranormal Activity 2 is a better film but that I had to see the first one first. I was able to guess where the plot was going too many times. The actors were pretty good and gave a realistic image of a couple living together with the arguments and all. The doctor seemed very phony and contrived especially with the 2nd visit. They should have done some more takes and gotten a better more believable performance out of him...
The last act of the film had some scary moments with the sound design and the practical effects.
With the Netflix streaming I stopped the film a number of times and watched the last 20 minutes a day later so I did ruin the pacing myself...
I'm guessing there wasn't a heck of a difference in the 5.1 and 2.0 surround sound with the first film with that budget.
Perhaps the 2nd film has a better 5.1 surround sound design & mix? I'll borrow the DVD to find out.
Last week in 10 cinemas in the US Regal Cinemas screened all 3 films back to back in chronological order.
I heard that part 3 was a prequel so I'll see how the 2nd one is before I want to commit.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote