View Single Post
Old October 31 2011, 10:30 AM   #691
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: Hallowe'en Reading and Viewing - 2011

I saw The Uninvited for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Very moody. I liked it a lot. And young Ray Milland was cool.

So far in my Halloween Marathon, I've watched Mad Monster Party and (on On Demand) Evil of Frankenstein and King of the Zombies, the latter of which was interesting because of superficial similarities to another movie script of the same name. KOTZ was also kind of interesting because it included one of those comedic Black stereotypes that was common at the time, yet he was included as part of the main cast with the two other men, was treated with respect and was integral to the plot because he was able to fight off the zombie spell. I want to add that one to my DVD collection.

In the world of books, I finished World War Z a while back and now I'm reading an anthology called The Nyarlathotep Cycle, which was some groovy vintage stuff (I'm reading the Robert Bloch story at the moment). It's a great book, but the tiny print is killing my eyes. WWZ, by the way, totally exceeded my expectations; it's a fantastic book.

Brendan, that looks like a good list. I'm intrigued by "Pickman's Other Model," as "Pickman's Model" is one of my favorite Lovecraft stories. I think seeing it on Night Gallery back in the day was what started me on reading Lovecraft.

I've got some time off from work this week, so my Marathon will continue until my eyes look like fried eggs, as Harlan Ellison would say. I think The Gorgon is on TCM today. I'm pretty sure I've only seen the end of that one, so I want to check it out.