View Single Post
Old October 29 2011, 10:00 AM   #159
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
My wife and I observed that this show has yet to actually introduce clearly BAD people. With the arguable exception of Merle (who's more just an asshole than an actual baddie), everyone we've met so far are not really evil or a villainous type. They're all just survivors, not power-mad, greedy, or subject to a variety of bad-guy stereotypes as most zombie movies have given us. I find this pretty refreshing - pretty much anyone who would be the typical early victims early on in a zombie apocalypse are already dead. There are no cheerleaders, no jocks, no corporate bigwigs, no soldiers. They're all neural chow.

All we have left are the ordinary people, and as Rick said early on, they're all just white or dark meat. I know that in the comics some villains are eventually introduced, but so far I'm loving that the only theing they're doing so far is trying to survive. Something like spending 3+ episodes stuck on a highway close to an infected town while ont he way to a place they hope WILL be their salvation would never be done in a zombie movie. It's great.
Yes! This is a huge part of what makes this show great. No villains-- just the character interaction of diverse people under stress, but mostly trying to do the right thing. This is why all the "badass" talk (and some of the comics spoilers) worry me. I hope they don't go down that route; if the characters become dehumanized, the appeal will be lost for me.

Temis the Bleeding Aorta wrote: View Post
And that reminds me, did anyone see the History Channels' Zombies: A Living History? It made the same point - lone-wolf Rambo types won't be as likely to survive a zombie apocalypse than people who are good at forming social bonds and sharing resources - and also delved into zombie lore around the world, real world antecedents to zombie fears (actual history on the History Channel!!!), current events, groups like Zombie Squad that are actually doing some good spreading knowledge of disaster survival tactics, and offered some interesting tips on fighting zombies (leave the samurai sword at home, pick up a tire iron instead). And the ubiquitous Max Brooks got a lot of screen time.
I recorded it and watched the first half hour so far (kind of a busy week). Lots of interesting info so far. I hope they go into some depth with Voodoo Zombies, which have been neglected in literature and movies for a while.