View Single Post
Old October 29 2011, 04:30 AM   #194
The Master of Tarquin Hill
Commodore

Re: SONS OF ANARCHY tv series disscussions and comments

Temis the Bleeding Aorta wrote: View Post
Random thought du jour: what if the writers had made Juice's big secret that he's gay, not that he's half-black?

This would solve the "are you guys BLIND" problem that Juice's skin tone points to him being nonwhite, hello. I can't see Jax and Opie giving a shit about Juice's race (and it's a stretch even for the older generation to think they're racist), but I could see everyone in SAMCRO being at least somewhat homophobic, and I could see some of them being violent homophobes who would threaten Juice's life if they knew the truth. So that would remove the plausibility issue that's been dogging this plotline.

Why wouldn't a closeted gay man decide he'd like to be a member of a motorcycle gang just as much as a straight guy would? He'd just figure he'll put on an act. Forever. Then Potter finds out some details of his past and uses Roosevelt to blackmail the guy. Same basic plot, but less of a stretch for us to believe.
If they made it that he was gay instead of black it would be boring because they would automatically kill him. OTOH, the race issue held some possibility because the club may have been willing to change for this member they have known.

If Juice had been straight up with them about the Roosevelt situation there would have been a chance for something interesting to happen to the club.

But, given the current state of progress in our society, a gay man has zero chance in a club like SOA. And therefore, zero chance in this show. There are gradations of tolerance in this American society and blacks are farther along than gays. Simple as that.