View Single Post
Old October 28 2011, 09:43 PM   #49
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Re: Enterprise: The Romulan War: To Brave the Storm review thread

[QUOTE=rfmcdpei;5310934]
ex Zane Gray wrote: View Post
Yes, that's how I felt too. You put some of it in better words that I did. I like what the book does offer a lot, but it just kept jumping so much in time out of need to cover the whole rest of the war, that the material doesn't have anywhere near the heft and resonance Beneath the Raptor's Wing did. That sheer, satisfying scope.[/QUOTE]

On reflection, me three, too.

rfmcdpei wrote: View Post
Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
The Romulans' conduct here was rather surprising for me in that the novel leans in the opposite direction to what is usually done with them in Trek lit. Where most novels, in my view, are concerned with the sympathetic or at least "honourable" aspects of Romulan culture (while ensuring the brutality and manipulation is still very much evident), this one highlighted their most disturbing behaviours (while ensuring their unique sense of honour and ethics were still notable).
Duane's original version of the Rihannsu had the Earth-Romulan War be a defensive war from the Romulan side, with the Romulans' civilian populations being the one potentially at risk from a numerically and technologically superior opposing force. (Note that I said "potentially".) In FASA's RPG setting, the Romulan War was an expensive deep-space war, fought in a frontier region that seems to have lacked substantial Federation or Romulan civilian populations.

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
^
Very good points. I really enjoy your insights on the Romulans, rfmcdpei. You're good at tying all the various portrayals together, giving a sense of their nation's history as one big tapestry.

Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote