View Single Post
Old October 26 2011, 12:08 PM   #368
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Netflix shoots itself in the foot... aka no more free streaming

Brolan wrote: View Post
Some irony right there because if you read the article they explain how they had to raise prices because the streaming rights got more expensive. And yet everyone still assumes they were just being greedy and going for a money grab.

Double irony because all the customers got the streaming for free in the first place and really had no reason to bitch about being asked to finally pay for something they got free. Who were the greedier pigs? The company or the customers?
All I ever had in the first place was the streaming plan, so nothing ever changed for me.

Where Netflix messed up was in bundling the streaming into the DVD plan for, what, an extra buck? They were obviously losing money on that, and they should've taken a page from every other dotcom that tried the "lure them in with something free/cheap, then jack up the price" strategy. It usually ends badly, with a big customer backlash and exodus.

While I think a discount on a bundled plan makes sense, it should be maybe $1-2, not the relatively huge discount DVD customers got with the streaming.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote