View Single Post
Old October 24 2011, 04:19 AM   #1674
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Well, I was buying one DC title occasionally before the relaunch, now I'm buying five or six...monthly, so far.

Saying that the writing on the pre-relaunch titles was not weaker than Marvel is damning with faint praise.

The simple, direct writing style of the new books that I've been reading is very appealing when it works.
My point in comparing it to Marvel is that Marvel was still profitable and outselling DC even though their books were as all over the place (with things such as endless crossovers and BIG SUMMER EVENTS!). People who want to read a Superman comic might see it and then realize that in order to understand what is going on, they will have to read 15 other issues from various series, to which they'd say "Fuck that".

Beyond the event stuff, while of course quality varied, most of the DC series were simple and direct. There really isn't a difference in the writing quality before or after the reboot (ymmv).

Thing was, with the exception of Batman, DC's characters were not really in the mainstream mindset the way Marvel's was and were not going to be anytime soon. If a new Iron Man movie came out, old fans/kids/curious readers are likely more interested in picking up a random issue. DC needed to do something to raise awareness and pull out a head for a change.

Doing a reboot where you didn't need to know nothing to get back into their characters did the trick, I dare say, marvelously. It will only be a short matter of time before DC runs into the same crossover, what the fuck is going on problems they had before. Just wait until next summer's BIG EVENT! (cuz, you just know there will be one) and the numerous tie-in issues.