Old October 21 2011, 08:22 PM   #68
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile
Re: Talk of Bryan Singer's BSG project resurfaces

Frontier wrote: View Post
http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/in-conte...lactica-reboot

The whole quote:
"I'm a huge fan of the original series and of the second show, too. But I always thought the first show was a little too heavily reliant on 'Star Wars,' you know? Whereas I think the second show was really original and really cool. And I think I've come up with a way to write this movie that won't fuck any of that up. I'm not sure how much they want me to talk about it. Let's just say it's not what you expect. It will all work in the universe that exists. It will not conflict with anything Ron Moore has done. I don't think you can compete with what he's done.

"I'm actually a science fiction geek more than anything. I just sort of got type cast as sort of a non-fiction screenwriter. That's because the first thing I ever wrote was 'Anonymous' and then my first job was 'Band of Brothers,' and that led to 'A Mighty Heart.' But I'm a total 'Star Wars' geek. I was a huge 'Star Trek' nut. '2001' is probably my favorite film. Stanley Kubrick is my favorite director; every movie is like a novel in the sense of the metaphoric depths of his thinking. And so my whole life I've always wanted to write a space epic. So to finally get a chance to write in the genre that I wanted to write basically forever is really cool."
That quote right there, I really don't think bodes well for you old guard hoping for an old show reboot. As much as he says he loved the old show and the new, he then goes on to fawn all over the new show as if it's wank material for him.

I have no idea what it means for the new guard, but... it certainly intrigues me a bit more than anything else I've yet heard about this.

That said, I'm of the firm belief that whatever is done will be a reboot with no connection to either show. It won't be the old show continued, it won't be the new show continued. It will, at best, be an amalgamation of both. Designed to produce broad appeal from the masses unaware of Battlestar.
Which, at this point, is probably the best way to go about it.