View Single Post
Old October 21 2011, 12:26 AM   #72
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

Ln X wrote: View Post
You know TheGodBen, every episode you review I'm watching!
I apologise in advance for reviewing If Wishes Were Horses.

JoeD80 wrote: View Post
Odo knows zero about the Founders at this point.
I know, and I know that the writers hadn't come up with the idea of the Dominion at this point, I just think it would have been fortuitous if they had done an episode about the persecution of a Changeling before they had the brilliant idea of having that be the basis of the Dominion. It would have made this episode relevant to DS9's larger themes, as it is it's just a forgettable standalone episode.

Nerys Dukat wrote: View Post
Severed Fingers wrote: View Post
I always wonder where people are coming from when they compare DS9 to a soap opera. Have they never seen one? Soap operas are usually terrible, with plotlines that repeat themselves and horrible characters having affairs and backstabbing each other.
My theory is that some people are unable to understand the difference between a soap opera and a serial.
I think that's at the crux of it. Some people think that focusing on the relationships of the characters somehow makes a show a soap opera, but if that were true then shows like The Sopranos and Mad Men would also be considered soap operas, which they are certainly not.

The only thing that comes close to being soap opera-ish about DS9 is the Kira/Odo will they/wont they arc, which is only one of dozens of plot elements in the show.