View Single Post
Old October 19 2011, 08:25 PM   #43
JoeD80
Captain

Re: TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
I wonder did the writers intend for him to be recurring or if they just put him in this episode to flesh out the history of the occupation and they liked Alaimo's performance so much that they brought him back for more?
Yep he's in the first writer's bible as a recurring character. But then so is Kai Opaka.

I wonder whether the writers had plans for him to actually be a spy working for the Cardassians or if it was always their intention that he was in exile (or, most likely, they had no idea themselves).
I'm going with spy because Peter Allan Fields had written for Man From UNCLE where a tailor's shop was a front for the spy agency.

Was he really coming on to Bashir
Andrew Robinson said (from an interview by Liz Sourbut):
Andrew Robinson wrote:
I started out playing Garak as someone who doesn't have a defined sexuality. He's not gay, he's not straight, it’s a non-issue for him. Basically his sexuality is inclusive...The fact that the attractive human being is a man (Bashir) doesn't make any difference to him...For the most part, the writers supported the character beautifully, but in that area they just made a choice they didn't want to go there, and if they don't want to go there I can't, because the writing doesn’t support it.
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote