View Single Post
Old October 17 2011, 08:17 PM   #58
OsmiumJohnnycake
Fleet Captain

Re: THE THING (2011): Discussion, Spoilers, Reviews

getpat2 wrote: View Post
Hi all, saw THE THING last night. Hoping someone on the forum can explain a few things to me.

(SPOILER ALERTS BEWARE)

At the end, the woman is about to get into the helicopter with the pilot to go to the Russian base.

1) She then blasts him with a flamer because she knew he was an alien because the "earring was in the wrong ear." (did I hear that correctly?) If this is so, 1) why did she head with him in the ice mover to the spacecraft location in the first place? 2) and, if the pilot was an alien, why did he save her from one of the creatures while underground near the spacecraft? 3) and if the pilot were alien, then after she doused him with the flamer, why didn't the alien emerge from the body (albeit on fire) as it was torched? or 4) are we to believe that SHE was the alien and just torched the pilot?

And then she jumps into the other ice mover and leaves. What became of her?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I did enjoy the movie but must say the "original-original" THING, 1951, is my all-time favorite movie. For what it was when it was, it is a classic!

Thanks!
I thought he was wearing the earring when they got in the snowcat (or whatever those things are - it wasn't a helicopter) and during the time they got separated, something happened. True, he didn't squeal or anything. Maybe she was wrong about him. At that point she wasn't taking any chances.

And it wasn't the Russian base they were headed to, it was the spaceship so they could kill the Thing before they died, basically.

Afterwards, who knows? If she's human, she likely dies (unless she can survive until the Norwegians send out a search party for the helicopter they sent out at the end*). If she's an alien, she can't make it far before she freezes. If there's a sequel, she's who the Russians are going to find in the ice.

*Which is possibly the only flaw I see that the prequel introduces - in the 1982 film, one assumes the helicopter seen at the beginning is just one that's normally at the Norwegian base. In the prequel, they show it's one that arrives to pick up the woman (I guess?) and take her back to some other base where she'll catch a flight home. Yet there is no search party for that helicopter, which I guess you can blame on the storm in the 1982 version. So right there I answered my own question and it's not a hole and nevermind.

Edited to add: Mike Farley is right about the earring. It's that it was missing and there was no noticeable tear which would be there if it had been ripped out or hole if he had taken it out. Although there's no reason I can see why an alien couldn't intentionally duplicate the hole at least, unless its ability to shapeshift is limited only to the DNA and shifting/mixing the stuff it absorbs and it isn't able to make slight alterations. But again, she wasn't taking any chances.
OsmiumJohnnycake is offline   Reply With Quote