View Single Post
Old October 17 2011, 05:33 PM   #1472
C_Miller
Captain

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
Yeah, I feel it's a little unfair to lump the master craftsman in with the assembly line workers, even if they are the same age.

At the same time, I really feel that I'm being unfair for saying that about the man who wrote and drew Superman #75
I agree that Giffen's good, but he's representant of a different time, one that I think we should move forward from. This reboot should have been the perfect chance to sideline some of the old guard and bring in the fresh new writers, like Giffen was in the 80s and Morrison. But they're using Lobdell, Jurgens, and Giffen as workhorses and that's in the opposite direction.

And saying that Jurgens shouldn't be grouped into that group because he wrote Superman #75 just proves my point. It came out in 1992. My point isn't that these writers are bad (although Lobdell leaves a bit to be desired in some cases), my point is that they represent a different time and still write like they're from a different time.

This was a great chance to go with new writers who have little experience in the business. Damon Lindeloff is a big comic book fan. See what he can do. The Lang Brothers who wrote A Very Potter Musical (which is actually a well written parody with fast humor and a lot of heart) are massive comic book fans. Would have loved to see what they could have done with JLI or something like that. It might not all work (but to be fair, neither did a lot of the DCnU), but the point is they're taking chances and trying to remain fresh.
Tons of Titles still available!
C_Miller is offline   Reply With Quote