View Single Post
Old October 15 2011, 10:13 PM   #45
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

Re: TOS Enterprise Question...

CarbonCopy wrote: View Post
On the way of interpreting visual shots, I have some points.

Let's take some of the stock footage of the TOS Enterprise orbiting a planet. You all are aware, aren't you, were such a scene photographed in real life, that the ship would not appear to travel in a curved path, right? What I mean by this is that the ship often looks like it's a model a few feet long that's circling a beach ball a few feet in diameter that's sitting only a few feet away from it. I regard this as a trope intended to help the viewer realize that the ship is circling the planet.

But in real life, the planets would be many, many thousands of times larger than the ship and hundreds or thousands of miles away. As the ship is cruising through its orbit, over the period of several seconds it would appear to be going in a straight line, and not in a curved path.

This is one example when what we see in the visual FX is all wrong.
Recently, I gave in and started watching Voyager on Netflix... it was the only series I never fully watched (having seen just a few episodes on rare occasions, and never really liking any of the characters except Tuvok and, on occasion, the Dr.)

One thing that hits me, every single episode, is the title sequence, as the Voyager flies over a planetary ring, and you can see the reflection of the ship in the ring.

This means that this entire planet, including its rings, is just tiny. Seriously... you would be able to HIKE the entire circumference of that ring in just a day or two!

I can't even watch that sequence without wincing...
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote